Wednesday, February 24, 2010

giant strides of productivity

{a quick side-by-side: a more-respectable bathroom at school and a fairly standard port-o-potty}

This morning I had the pleasure of visiting Rumpke portable restrooms HQ. They were nice enough to take me on a fully comprehensive tour of the facilities (no pun intended), and I learned a ton about the business and the perspective of the business owner. I'm rather impressed with how innovative Rumpke is; they developed an infant changing port-o-potty and a port-o-potty for miners. They are one of the biggest businesses of their type in the country, with approximately 10,000 portable restrooms. They also shared with me the fact that their restrooms..ermm.. received one million gallons of waste in January. That is a phenomenal number!

Before I left today, they gave me some super-important information:
The best port-o-potty, from the perspective of the business owner, would basically be vandalism-proof. Apparently, there is a humongous problem with graffiti and with people setting these things on fire. I guess sometimes Rumpke goes to pick up a potty and finds a big puddle of congealed, melted plastic. This results in the person who rented the potty being charged for the cost of the unit, which is easily $500+.

The man I spoke with also clued me in to a national trade show going on in Louisville this week for the port-o-potty (aka sanitation) industry. I am tentatively planning to go down and check it out...

I think its appropriate, here, to make a quick 'plug' for reaching out to people for help. A simple email to a general Rumpke address resulted in my hour and a half tour today and innumerable resources opening up. I have found time and time again that if you take the first step, people are more than willing to meet you half way- especially if you happen to be a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment