Friday, April 16, 2010

first check-in
















see the full presentation here

Tuesday was the first official check-in for our thesis projects. I presented the pdf above, and overall it was really well received (I got an A! woo!)

The rest of the week has been a sort of I'm-having-fun-with-my-life stall, but I'm really jumping back in with two feet right now. From the beginning of this project I have been really intrigued by composting toilets and the potentially huge impact composting porta-potties could have. I've cautiously investigated the details, while trying hard not to gravitate only to that concept. After seeing/hearing/meeting/eating ice cream with Emily and Matt from Project H yesterday, I've decided to go that way. The potential for good (and really, profit) that that concept has is huge and the biggest improvement I've found yet.

In order for a composting toilet system to be really viable, I am pretty convinced that there would have to be a municipal composting system in place (like they have in Seattle and San Fransisco.) See here for a specific link about bringing composting toilets to Seattle.

So the next challenge? Using the composting toilet technology paired with exceptional design to push forward a toilet that people (and kids!) actually want to use. More to follow, hopefully soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment