Tuesday, April 6, 2010

do you sit or squat?

Recently I have come across a lot of information about sit vs. squat toilets. I guess toilets made for sitting are a very Western phenomena, while a lot of the rest of the world tends to squat. Not only that, but apparently squatting is more hygienic and better for you, from a health point of view. I did see a couple squat portable restrooms at the pumpers and cleaners expo, but I wonder if people would be willing to adopt this totally different practice...? I'm thinking something between sitting and squatting may be ideal.


and also this, from "The Bathroom" by Alexander Kira:
"The ideal posture for defecation is the squatting position, with the thighs flexed upon the abdomen. In this way the capacity of the abdominal cavity is greatly diminished and intra-abdominal pressure increased, thus encouraging the expulsion of the fecal mass. The modern toilet seat in many instances is too high even for some adults."

No comments:

Post a Comment